Tuesday 19 June 2012

Wu Xiang, The Five Fragrance of Chinese Cuisine!

Today, my adventures bring me to Maxwell (prior to that I was at NTU, but thats a different adventure), where it houses two very different crowds at different timings. In the day time, Maxwell houses a myriad of food that serves to keep nearby office workers taste buds fully satisfied. In the night, Maxwell opens itself to the supper/clubbing/pubbing crowd, housing less selections but a unique ambience.

Maxwell has actually quite a few places I fancy. Ho Kee Pau is one, then there is also Lao Ban beancurd and Soy. Among all that, there are a few lesser known stalls but still equally delectable. However, today I decided to try my hand on this Wu Xiang, which I have been craving for some time. Its not easy to come by Wu Xiang stalls in Singapore, and it is relatively unhealthy since most of the food is fried (which makes even fewer Singaporeans go for it), so I decided to try this. Apparently they have been awarded several things, like Channel U most popular places to eat and even President S.R. Nathan has come to grace his support for this stall as well! Located at #01-34, this stall is located in the middle row, right towards the end near the URA building.

Coming to this stall, I realized I only had a limited selection. They only had fish balls, century egg (ew), egg(cake) slices, a chinese-style sausage, tofu and the famous Wu Xiang roll, which is minced meat with prawn/fish rolled using a tofu skin. Apparently they are famous for their chinese sausage ($2), so I ordered that with Wu Xiang (70c), fish balls (40c per piece) and their egg(cake) slice (70c). The lady boss highly recommended their egg(cake) slice, which seems to be egg mixed with some other ingredients and then laid out in a fishcake style, before they fry it. I had all that together with bee hoon (70c).


As with most Wu Xiang, they are usually served with chilli sauce and housemade special sweet sauce. However, their sweet sauce was horribly bland and extremely starchy, which was not to my liking. Their egg(cake) slices were very crispy though, and they gave quite a good serving of sausages. I was quite disappointed with their Wu Xiang though, as it was very tiny (just beneath the rectangular eggcake slices in the picture), and hardly enjoyable. All in all, I think this could be highly improved.

Food: 2.75 / 5 (Their sausage and eggcake was their redeeming factor)
Presentation: 3 / 5
Waiting Time: ~ 5 minutes depending on crowd


No comments:

Post a Comment