Thursday 14 June 2012

Urban Bites, Mediterranean Cuisine for all folks


Today, we are going to talk about Urban Bites! A Mediterranean cuisine place introduced to me by my India foodie friend, this place is located at a seemingly bustling street (I presume. I went there on an evening) in an area surrounded by offices. It's a cozy restaurant, as seen from the photo, with a chef who prepares the Pita bread fresh right from the oven in the corner. You can feast your eyes on its preparation methods if you are lucky.



First off, we had Mezza Platter ($18)! It consists of Mediterranean dips; hommos, motabal, tabbouleh, fattoush, and falafel (fried chickpea croquette). From the top, that's tabbouleh, a mix of a variety of vegetables and lemon juice. Going clockwise, the next is Hommos, followed by slices of Tomatoes, Motabal, Fattoush, and the circular round things that look like cupcakes are Felafel! And in the middle, we have fattoush. (I think)

My first encounter with felafal (not eating it) was in How I Met Your Mother. Instead of saying "I love you" to Ted, she said "Felafel", and boy, I never knew it tasted so nice! Its extremely crunchy, and for you health-conscious eaters out there, Mezza Platter is extremely healthy, for it is pure vegetarian. Order some Pita Bread and enjoy this meal!

One thing though, if you don't like sour food, you shouldn't order this. Both tabbouleh and motabal are pretty sour due to the use of fresh lemon juice. I'm still not quite accustomed to the sour taste, but overall, it sated my appetite and my vegetarian friend loves it! Not to mention another friend of mine who kept going on and on about it for weeks after first trying Tabbouleh. (That and he found the name funny.)

Food: 4 / 5 
Presentation: 3.5 / 5
Waiting Time: 5 - 10 minutes, dependent on crowd.



Next up, we have Zaatar with Cheese! ($6) Zaatar is a Lebanese bread topped with dried thyme and sesame seeds. While it looks deceptively plain, you will experience a whole different feel once you put it into your mouth. Your tastebuds will thank you for the burst of fragrance, and leave you craving for more. Simply put, I will easily put this as a MUST TRY item if you decided to visit.

You can order Zaatar ($5) on its own, as I felt that the cheese was barely noticeable. Zaatar has a strong taste on its own, so you don't really need cheese. My friend disagreed with me though, saying that he likes the cheese, while I (a fellow cheese lover) cannot taste the cheese over the overwhelming taste-plosion this provides. 

Food: 4.75 / 5 
Presentation: 3 / 5
Waiting Time: 5 - 10 minutes dependent on crowd.

Decided to try? Do have a look at their website, www.urbanbites.com.sg 
Do remember to make a reservation, or you might not get seats!

1 comment: