Thursday 7 June 2012

Poh Poh Mookata, Surprising Delight from a Nondescript Stall!

Located at Tanjong Katong Road just opposite Chelsea Lodge, this coffee shop (coffee shop in my opinion anyway, its fairly large for a coffee shop.) houses two different stalls of Thai Food, your typical Zhi Char, Western and Indian cuisines. Both stalls of Thai Food are a delight on any tastebuds, one of the stalls are run by authentic Thais, and the other I am not so sure. Today's post will be about the latter.

A surprisingly nondescript stall, when I first chanced upon it, the "display fridge" (as I so aptly decided to name it as of this post) is empty and devoid of any food. The stall sign says Poh Poh Mookata, Thai Charcoal Grill and Steamboat, but I see no food, so I presume they are closed. I went back there on a separate day, and it was once again, the same. However, I realized that they do not store food in the "display" set (for purposes that remain unknown to me till this date), but rather in another fridge inside when I saw people ordering. So do not think they are closed when you visit them, ask first.

Pardon me for the lack of pictures of the stall. I will upload them when I have the chance. 


Staring at their menu (which is pretty plain), which offers Combo A for 2 people at $28, and Combo B for 3 people at $38, there doesn't seem to be a lot to choose from. They do provide several addons, like more pork belly at $8, or abalone at $10.

Having placed our order (Combo B), the teapot and the round metal cylinder was promptly placed on our table. However, the food was served about 10 minutes later, as the staff was chopping the meat and vegetables. The wait was pretty long in my opinion, but if you have the patience to enjoy good food, this is a stall worth visiting.


Afterwards, this huge pot was served. The depth of the pot was for holding hot charcoal, which kept the soup hot long after we finished our meal. Combo B comes with a vast assortment of beef, pork belly and chicken, which are all very nicely marinated. They are wonderfully tasty, and perhaps one of the best grilled meat I have had thus far. The teapot contains soup, which you pour around the sides of the steamboat as seen above. The soup has a strong taste, which might not be to some peoples liking. But the grilled meat? You will definitely enjoy them. And due to the design, the essence and flavours of the meat will flow down into the soup, which does make it extremely savoury and flavourful. 

If you are a fan of grilled food, this is not one stall you should miss.

Food: 4.5 / 5 
Layout: 3.5 / 5
Waiting Time: > 10 minutes
(I dont like to wait too long for coffee shop food.)

1 comment:

  1. Nature always helps a writer to learn from its elements. Nature always try to teach new lessons and a writer transform its experience into words. He can transform even silence into words. This blog taught me a lesson.
    ร้าน board game

    ReplyDelete