Friday 13 July 2012

Vegetarian Delights of Kallang


As I mentioned in my earlier post, my adventures largely revolved around the East. In the afternoon, we met for lunch at Kallang Blk 5, this stall was unknown to me despite my somewhat frequent visits one of my close JC pals in the area. This coffeeshop just rests behind a bus stop facing the road into Geylang, the district of durians, delicious food, and.... some other things. As Block 5 has 2 coffee shops, this coffee shop is the one parallel to the MRT Track. You shouldn't have trouble finding it.


This is a picture of the stall. As you can see, they have quite a comprehensive menu, offering a number of vegetarian versions of LOCAL delights, such as Bak Chor Mee, Char Siew Rice... All vegetarian of course! (I said vegetarian version, were you expecting otherwise?) My vegetarian friend was the one who brought me here, and I really like the variety they offer.


I ordered the Vegetarian Bak Chor Mee [This means minced meat noodle]($3.50), because I was curious how it would taste like. It was very nicely served and placed in front of me, (I didn't even touch any of the plates and bowls when I took this photograph) and I like the way they arrange the food as well. It comes with fried mock pork oil (a very common ingredient among most local dishes), mock minced meat, beansprouts (Or as we call it, taogay. No the "gay" word isn't intentional.), vegetables and mock fishcake. 

Unlike your typical Bak Chor Mee, which is usually served in chilli/tomato sauce, this is served with soya sauce. Despite the difference, I really like how the food sits nicely on the plate, and behaves nicely in your mouth. The taste slowly dissolves (in the case of the mock meat) while other flavours let you teeth crunch happily away at them (in the case of the taogay [Again, beansprouts for the non-hokkien speaking folks] and the mock pork oil). This dish is an absolute delight for vegetarians who are keen to try some of the famous local delicacies but unable to because they contain meat.

Food: 4 / 5
Presentation: 4 / 5 (Look at how they place the chopsticks despite being a coffeeshop!)
Waiting time: ~ 5 - 10 minutes from ordering

5 Upper Boon Keng Road
Singapore 380005

No comments:

Post a Comment